SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Tell me about Maryland...
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tamka

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Tell me about Maryland... Reply with quote

So there is a possibility that we might move to Maryland for Mr. T's work. I am conflicted, as on one hand I want to go to the East Coast but on the other hand, dude I live in California!
I have done some research and it seems Baltimore is a pit (he would be working in Baltimore.) We would probably live outside of the city, though I have no idea where.
I'm so conflicted about this. I'm trying to get excited (just last year I was pushing to move to DC) but I don't relish the idea of moving cross country during winter, especially with a newborn.

Does anyone have any info for me? Something to look forward to? A reason to want to leave Cali for frigid temps?

~ Tamka
casiep

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Baltimore. It's got it rough parts, just like any other city, but it has some lovely areas as well. I remember a guy I used to work with in DC and his wife bought this amazing row house in the city and were renovating it. It was an "up and coming" neighborhood (can't remember which one sadly) and they got it for a serious steal. Stained glass windows, original stamped tin ceilings, it was amazing. There's a lot of history there.

The suburbs aren't that bad either. I remember Catonsville being nice - I had a friend who lived there. And we lived in Glen Burnie for a while when I was a kid. I think that might be closer to Annapolis though.
crookedtree

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like Baltimore, too. I have one friend there and another in Catonsville; they both commute to DC for work every day. The one in Baltimore is married and childfree and the one in Catonsville is married with a kid and a dog.

Baltimore has some great funky little cafes, a lovely downtown waterfront, and a fantastic aquarium. There are good museums and music venues there, too, plus a thriving arts scene (my friend who lives there is a sculptor). Johns Hopkins University is right there in town, too.

Annapolis is lovely. I like boats and Annapolis is all about the boats. I considered moving there when I was job hunting. The downtown can get a bit cutesy for my taste, but I love the historic buildings and houses. My brother lives near Frederick, which is a ways west of Baltimore, but a great little town. The historic downtown has good restaurants, brewpubs, a gelato shop, and tons of antique shops.

The Eastern Shore of Maryland is great for day trips. Beaches, boating, hiking, antiques and museums in St. Michael's, wild ponies at Assateague... it's a great part of the world to live close to! The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful and has a culture and history all its own.
scarymonster

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryland is gorgeous. We live just a bit over the border in PA, and you can tell the instant the road turns into MD property because the roads are really well taken care of. Really a gorgeous state with tons of stuff to do. You'd love it.
sofie

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Bmore for 10 years, its got a lot of great things going for it. Really inclusive and awesome music/arts scene, people are generally really friendly, and the mid-atlantic is a nice place to live. You're super close to DC/Philly/NYC and also close to mountains and the beach. If you have specific questions about Bmore I'd be happy to answer them. I will say that if you end up moving to the Baltimore area do a lot of research before settling on a neighborhood to live in. The crime level is quite high throughout the city. That, and the public schools are god awful. I don't mean to scare you off, its just a reality of the city. I did the live in Bmore/work in DC thing and vice versa and its kind of brutal but an option that lots of folks take.

Um, I hope I wasn't a huge downer!
TardisTraveller

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not at all what you are looking for--when I saw this thread topic, I thought it was someone looking for info about a place called Maryland like Dollywood is a place. Not the actual state.

Duh.
scaredsi11y

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by scaredsi11y on Apr 16, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tamka

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, ladies!

I did visit there last year, but I was looking more towards DC, so I didn't really investigate Baltimore. I have a cousin who lives in Glen Burnie, but she doesn't know much about Baltimore/around there, so I thought I'd ask around. The people at his interview told him to "stick to the harbor" which is a lovely area, but I don't relish the idea of living in a downtown area.

I am kind of excited to be surrounded by all the history on the EC. Here in Cali it is mostly missions, not a whole lot of US founding history to be had. And the proximity to his homeland and Chicago really can't be beat.

We'll find out soon if it is going to happen!

~ Tamka
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> La Vida Crafty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: