SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Buttony Sweater Question
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miss e

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Buttony Sweater Question Reply with quote

One of my new year's resolutions was to knit a sweater. I love this Buttony Sweater!

The sizing is for a M (36-38") bust, using 9 balls of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky. My bust is 45" (size 16/18) on a good day. There's no gauge given, since it's knit till it fits. How many balls should I buy? I was thinking 15.

Do you think it's worth it to get the Cashmerino? Or should I look at cheaper yarns? It would be around $90-130 depending on where I bought it.
PS

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... do you have the interweave pamphlet of yarn requirements? I'm not at the store today so I can't look at it. I would swatch one ball, and take the spi from your swatch and then use that pamphlet to determine how many you will need. And then save your receipt because that pamphlet is usually a little high. I think, tho, that the smallest it goes is 3spi, so if your gauge is bigger...
geekychic

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i super duper love this sweater, but i am a knitting dumby....

i have a question about it, i hope that's cool....

i don't really understand how it's knit till it fits... i read the pattern and get it i guess, but it says...okay i checked and i do not get this at all...how the heck do you make this effing sweater....

it doesn't look that hard, but my head won't wrap around this.
melmelon

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the ladies from snb made it with knitpicks sierra...it looks good, apparently its now called cadena - which is 5.29usd/110yds
miss e

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geekychic wrote:
i super duper love this sweater, but i am a knitting dumby....

i have a question about it, i hope that's cool....

i don't really understand how it's knit till it fits... i read the pattern and get it i guess, but it says...okay i checked and i do not get this at all...how the heck do you make this effing sweater....

it doesn't look that hard, but my head won't wrap around this.

I don't know how clear this is going to be but . . .

You knit the sweater in one piece on a circular needle. You place the stitch markers, and it divides the sweater in 5 sections front left (narrower, with buttons), sleeve, back, sleeve, front right (wider, with buttonholes). Then knit, doing the increases until it fits you then stop increasing and put the sleeves on waste yarn until you are ready to knit them and continue with the body.

I've knit the One Skein Wonder from Glampyre and it really helped me to understand how to make this sweater.
geekychic

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that!! it actually cleared it up for me!!!

sorry i hijacked your thread...

--you know, the biggest reason i was confused is because even though it says "top down" i kept thinking of starting at the bottom...yeaaahhh. ::head slap::
copperboom

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this as my first sweater too! I enjoyed it a lot, it was quick and simple.

I didn't use the recommended yarn because it was expensive and I don't like bulky knits. You can basically use whatever yarn you want. If you use something with a different gauge, you'll just need to do a couple of calculations at the beginning to figure out how many to cast on and where to place the markers. I used this converter to estimate how much worsted I would need, but it estimated on the low side for me.

I found the Craftster Buttony sweater knitalong helpful too as I was knitting this. Someone on there found out the pattern gauge (15 st/20 rows = 4") which helped with my conversion. You might be able to find an FO closer to your size on there to get an estimate of how much yarn you'll need as well.

Hope this helps!
kneesocky

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this sweater! I wore it the day I finished & then never again...but! That was my poor colour/yarn choice. I used Lamb's Pride Bulky in 'Heirloom Blue' - I feel like cookie monster in it.

Anyhow, I used 7 balls of it, I think?
miss e

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kneesocky! Thanks for posting! I was going to PM you and ask you after I read that knit-a-long on craftster. Do you mind telling me what size you wear? I think we're pretty close. You can PM me if you want. I think that sweater looks great on you!

copperboom, thanks for the links. It does help. I was debating on knitting it chunky, but I was looking at the cashmerino chunky and it's not too thick.
kneesocky

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 44"-45" bust, so yeah - we're probably similar. I forget how many increases I did before I divided for the sleeves - I really wish I kept better track of stuff like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> Works in Progress All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: