SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Flickr * kid photos being stolen and fake profiles
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaperDollWings

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Flickr * kid photos being stolen and fake profiles Reply with quote

I just thought I'd inform all of the moms that Flickr is having a big problem with a site called Orkut, a Google affiliated site . From what I hear these are pre-teens/teens that are stealing many flickr images of small children and then using them to make profiles about themselves. http://www.flickr.com/photos/heartkb/1440834001/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heartkb/1441685534/in/photostream/
Sort of like a myspace, where you have your friends and everyone chats? It's pretty confusing to me. I think this is mostly popular in Brazil but I'm not positive on that.

So my son and nearly a hundred or more other childrens photos have been stolen from flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nofakes/pool/

We are trying to get the site shut down so if anyone is willing to sign the petition we would greatly appreciate it.
http://www.petitiononline.com/jmelhado/petition.html
scarlet

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf?

I just signed.
iskra

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.

I'm a member of Orkut, or at least I was two years ago. It's a social networking site, like Facebook or Myspace.
LooseyMama

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeesh. I signed.

Not long ago someone tried to "friend" me on Flickr, but I couldnt' tell who the hell it was, so I locked down security tighter than I had it. Your petition says people can do screen captures even without permission, so ... yikes.

Do you, or does anyone, know specifically which communities within Orkut have the greatest number of offenders? I poked around through some of the communities, and didn't see anything as atrocious as the ones within the links you gave me. I'm not saying they're not there, but I don't know where to find them.
jettesette

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this just makes me sick to my stomach.

i signed the petition.

im so sorry KB

http://mamahuck.blogspot.com/
mushu

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is creepy on so many levels. sickening really.

i wish i could find if my lil guy is anywhere....i signed up but i don't even know where to start.

there's some really weird people out there.....

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to look around for the little, too, but its so overwhelming. i'm confused by the whole thing...this is done by other kids?? why?!?!?
so weird....
jktaylor

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew.
Thanks for the info about this KB. I signed the petition too.

If anyone is worried about the little glitterkids group we have on flickr, it is a Private Group and according to flickr:
"Private groups cannot be made public later.
Private groups are useful for families or groups of friends.
Only group members will be able to view the group page.
Private groups are completely hidden from group searches, and don't display on people's profiles amongst groups they belong to."

So no one would be able to do screen captures either, since they'd have no way of seeing the pix if they weren't in the group, and they wouldn't be in the group without a personal invite.
PaperDollWings

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this may have been lost in my last post, but for those who are confused read this http://www.petitiononline.com/jmelhado/petition.html to get a better understanding.

Or maybe it's private for some?
Not written by me, but another flickr mama

These profiles are using the exact words that are on the sign my that little is holding.

There are profiles of her and many other children under the names of chocolate and candy on there right now...

OBVIOUSLY THEY DO NOT HAVE OUR PERMISSION TO BE USING IMAGES OF OUR KIDS...

It doesnt matter how we have our " permission settings" ...
they use "screen captures" to obtain images!

Orkut, is an Internet social network service run by Google and named after its creator,
Google employee Orkut Büyükkökten

They have a "no fake profile" policy yet approx 80% of the profiles on there site are fake. Half of those are profiles set up to look like little kids. THE SITE CLEARLY STATES THAT YOU MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD OR OLDER TO CREATE A PROFILE...

This is a game for them.

These images were stolen from flickr, edited and uploaded to orkut so that these freaks can pretend they are our children.

They use them as their icon picture and then have albums full of our children...
Some of them have up to 500 contacts that are pretending to be our children too. and they have contacts and they have contacts and so on.

THIS IS AN ALARMING SITUATION!

The red tape involved in getting these images removed is pathedic.
Orkut will tell you to ask the user politely to remove the images. (yeah right!)

These "fake" profile user's just laugh saying things like...

(these are actual quotes...)

"We are many ...you are so small"

"calm down.. this is game for us"

" Your photos on flickr say "public" so we no do wrong"

"why problem? we think your baby is cute"

"The world fake is one of the methods of fun for us in the orkut"

"if you dont want people using your pictures put
it on private and only friends and your family can see"

"your child deserves an ugly mother"

You get the idea... these are morons we are dealing with and google and Orkut could care less..

These children need a voice... a voice that can be heard LOUD AND CLEAR.

Some of these parents have been trying to get their children removed from this site for almost a year and they are still on there..

Some flickr parents have found 10 -20 (if not more) different profiles featuring images of their children.

They think that because an image is marked public that they are free to do whatever they want to do with them. they see no wrong with exploiting these children. They see no wrong in assuming the identity of our innocent children.

Some of them admit to stealing hundreds of child photos from flickr and think it's a game to create new profiles and just rotate the pictures to keep pissing us off.

THIS NEEDS TO STOP AND ORKUT NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!

FEEL FREE TO SPEAK YOUR MIND ON THIS SUBJECT ...

EVEN IF YOU DON"T SPEAK YOUR MIND PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT ...
WE NEED TO UNITE AS A COMMUNITY TO HELP PROTECT THE CHILDREN OF FLICKR...

PLEASE HELP US GIVE THESE CHILDREN A VOICE THAT CAN BE HEARD!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON... THE MORE PEOPLE THAT KNOW ABOUT THIS THE BETTER!!!

HOW TO HELP???

go to the link and sign the petition.

I know I am still confused about the whole thing too.
ruggedchick

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would I search to see if my nieces are on there?
tomatotomahto

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? why would anyone do this?
frenchdots

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* I've always thought these photo-sharing sites are very dangerous with regard to children and predators. I'm sure you all know this and I do not mean to insult anybody's intelligence but please be aware that using privacy settings is so important, and that it is sometimes hard to keep track of how much information you inadvertently 'expose' on these sites, information that can be used to locate you or your children. Even on this very site, where part of the fun is sharing information about our families and lives, I am stunned by the amount of personal information people put up about their routines and locations that could identify them, and the opportunity there is to be taken advantage of or worse.

Obviously these dickheads on Orkut are in the wrong for using these photos (and it's fucking creepy) but you can see that appeals to their sense of right and wrong are falling on deaf ears. I wouldn't wait for either Orkut or google to offer any assistance or even to shoulder any responsibility whatsoever. I hope this relatively harmless incident gets a lot of publicity and that it serves as a wakeup call for parents to think about the not-so-harmless possible implications. The world is not an especially safe place.
puck

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what the person quoted is talking about is picture-saving permission - i'm pretty sure that you can set on flickr whether your *publicly* posted pictures can be saved or not - but that can be worked around through screen shots.

your PRIVATE pictures, as long as you choose carefully only safe people who can view them, are still safe.
"
(rawr!)
blissed

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also appreciate any tips on how to check to see if your images have been misappropriated.

I do worry that people don't exercise caution online. I do well for awhile -- even trying not to use my kids' names here -- but then I forget. I have a blog, I post a lot of photos (from Flickr), but I try to avoid posting detailed information (like our address or even city of residence). Granted, it wouldn't be at all difficult for someone to piece together a pretty detailed picture of our lives.

Not to belittle the concerns about Orkut at all, or to redirect this thread, but really -- does anyone know of any cases of very young children being victims of predators related to an online presence? I understand some weirdo could get off in some strange way on the seemingly innocent kid photos I post to Flickr. But I think it would take an impressive degree of effort for a predator to take advantage of online info to get to a kid. That kind of activity is typically a crime of opportunity -- easy access. I worry much more about older kids who give away info and (shiver) offer to meet online "friends." The Orkut crap I find reprehensible and alarming on a basic moral level, but I don't know that I'd feel my kids were in danger from it. And yes, I do think parents -- heck, anyone with a decent bone in their body -- should go apeshit over it. I'm just wondering where reality and fears intersect...
JesC

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB, I hate that M's been stolen too :( I'm frustrated by Orkut and Google both ignoring the problem and ignoring their own policies regarding authenticity of the photos posted to Orkut. Protecting the rights of minor children and protecting copyright is incredibly important to me.

I post to flickr a lot, and while I don't have kids - my friends do and their kids are in my photostream often. I have resisted going friends and family so far. A few things you can do to help protect your photos-

Becareful what you tag your pics. I don't tag anything baby, kid, child, boy, girl etc. And furthermore, opt out of being searchable within flickr and third party search engines - that's an option in the permissions and privacy settings. And of course restrict downloads etc.

Checking Orkut is tedious and pretty much all you can do is sit and click page after page looking at the profiles.

There's also Flickr DNA, http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/dna.php. If you enter your screen name and then click on "ego surf" you can see if you photos are being linked within major search engines. It's not perfect, but it's another tool you can use.

(edited because I can't type AT ALL today)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> DIY Parenting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: