SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Spring Cleaning-along 2012!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigi

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Spring Cleaning-along 2012! Reply with quote

So teak mentioned in the other thread that perhaps it's time for a 2012 spring cleaning thread, and I agree, so here it is! What are y'all's plans for spring cleaning this year? I'll start.

I'm on spring break next week, so I want to use that time to get some stuff done. I'm getting a free carpet cleaning for renewing my lease, so that will be awesome. I've been wanting to get the carpet cleaned for a while now.

- I need to wipe down my vertical blinds and the blinds on the bathroom window. Somebody hold me to this, because I haaaate cleaning blinds. Hate, hate, hate.

- I want to clean my screen door that leads to my balcony. And maybe my front screen door. They are dusty and I think more light would come in if I cleaned them (maybe?). But I have no idea how to do this. I tried taking the vacuum extension to them once, but it didn't really do anything. Anybody know how you clean a screen door?

- I need to take some boxes to the thrift store. I have like four big boxes taking up the entire backseat of my car.

- If I'm really ambitious, I might clean/wipe down the inside of all my kitchen cabinets.

Your turn!
christinaheart

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point this spring I should:

- Sort through my clothes/bras/shoes.

- Strip and repaint my TV stand/dresser thing. (There are so many layers of paint on this thing! Have any recommendations for a really good paint stripper??)

-Buy freakin' curtains that match my personality! Finally. After living here for a year and a half. (And then find a place to shove the boring ones.)
Chiquita

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I need to post pictures from the fall project but I'm here's my list for spring.

- armoire in front room - pull everything out and reorganize. Get rid of linens we don't use and buy new sheet set. Toss old kid art supplies that have dried up. Put candles in a place so they are easy to get to.

- tackle my office, especially the box of stuff that got moved there from my fall project and hasn't been looked at yet. It must not be anything important.

- cleaning screen door is a great idea. I'll be trying old fashioned soap and water and big fat sponge from car washing. I've tried the vaccuum and it didn't really help.

- finally sand and repaint the kitchen cabinet doors and put back up

- tidy socks and undies drawer (edited to add DONE, took care of that last night)

- take living room rug to the cleaners

Whew! Decent list but really doable.

(edited for all those typos, auto correct is not my friend - was at the beach on the iPad..)

Last edited by Chiquita on Mar 19, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
crookedtree

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a garage and basement full of STUFF that needs to be sorted. When I moved in, we started the project of getting rid of redundant kitchen stuff, etc, but got sidetracked. I hope to have it all sorted into boxes by the time the beau's parents visit next month - then we can use their car to drop everything off at goodwill.
aliwa

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to:
Get my roomie to help cleaning (this is probably the biggest task for me, will take some time...)

Do a really thorough cleaning of the kitchen - take everything out from all the drawers and cupboards, do a deep cleaning of the kitchen floor, etc.

re-organize my fabric and other craft things. This one will take a while too... I would love to go through all the fabric, and wash it. At the moment, I don't know if I've washed it after buying it or not, so that needs to be done. takes so much time and drying time though.

That is the short list. The longer one could go on for ever... :)
Aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the throes of spring cleaning right now. Once a year I do a victorian style clean of my house where I tear everything apart, clean it, and put it back together. Before I do this I do a general declutter where I don't worry about cleaning I just toss, toss, toss, and then a few weeks later I do the actual scrub down.

Right now I've done the back and front hallways, the kitchen (always the hardest, so I do it first), the dining room, and the living room. As I clean I make a list of things that need to be improved (like blackout curtains for the bedroom or this year getting canisters for the kitchen) or fixed and tackle those throughout the year.

It's kind of archaic but it really makes a noticeable difference in my home and I get metal (calm home and calm mind) and physical (cleaning that hard is a great workout!) benefits from doing it.

Blog: http://elizalives.blogspot.com
daysleeper

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the last time I really did a cleaning was around Christmas, its definitely time again...

Over the weekend I did the very bare minimal cleaning -- dishes, sweep, garbage, laundry, litter, sheets.

That took a long time.

On Sunday I started to inventory my pantry and freezer. This is my new project. I'm going to start seriously tracking what comes in and out and how much I spend. The inventory project took much longer than it should have because I think I have some sort of mental disconnect when it comes to spatial organization.

Overall I managed to get the pantry closet organized, but I didn't "clean" anything. I didn't have much interest in pulling it all apart, vacuuming etc. I might do that again when its time to straighten it out again in a few months.

My bedroom is pretty dusty and gnarly. I could easily spend the week working on that!

Blog!
kitchen

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the middle of this now and so thankful i have a tiny apartment.

have done:

- packed away winter coats & boots (minus a few as the temp is really fluctuating)
- moved and vacuumed under all the bedroom furniture
- deep bathroom clean & scrub of all surfaces
- organized our one closet! (this holds everything!), decreased the number of boxes of STUFF we have from 8 to 6.
- tossed all paperwork/bills over 2 years old
- deep kitchen scrub, vacuum, and mop. scrubbed all kitchen cabinets and walls.
- vacuummed and mopped the living room, under all the furniture and took apart the entertainment centre to vacuum every last powercord ever.
- washed windows & washed all window screens & the screen door
- reorganized our bookcase & all the crap in boxes on the bookcase
- tossed all the junk we've accumulated in our pockets and purses that end up spilling out into our closet.

still to do:
- take out spring/summer clothes
- pack up winter sweaters & the rest of winter clothing
- go through pantry and reorganize/toss/jar all the loose spices & flours
- wash curtains & shower curtain
- wash and pack away the humidifier
- big clothing purge & donation
- reorganizing my bookshelves
- clean out the fridge then clean in the fridge
- finish framing all the photos/artwork i've accumulated and hang them
bookselves

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BF is moving out for the summer & we're subletting his office, so biggest task is getting that emptied out and organized. I'll have a month on my own before anyone moves in, so during that time I'd love to get a "move everything out and clean and move everything back in" type of deep clean done.

If nothing else, I really need to clean my baseboards and kitchen cupboards. Blech!

So, I have a blog now.
Chiquita

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tackled the screen door, and front porch. We are in the middle of a heavy pollen season so I probably should have put on a mask first but...
- took a dry scrub brush to both sides of the screen
- washed the screen and door and wood door with soapy water
- moved nearly everything off the porch and swept
- dumped soapy water on porch (used some to clean metal table outside first) and swept it off (along with lots of dirt)
- scrubbed the front steps as well
- washed screen with clear water, then a soapy scrub brush, then had to wipe down the door again, washed off the threshold too
- pounded dust off of outdoor cushions

Screen door looks lovely now. And I feel better about knowing all that pollen and dust it had collected is no longer blowing into the house.
fuzzydice

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a spring-cleaning style scrub down of my kitchen and bathroom which I am ever thankful for now that I'm moving out. I cleaned the inside of my fridge and all my cabinets. I never realized how gross the top of the fridge gets!

Now that I'm moving into my new apartment (which the landlord BARELY cleaned!), I am already planning a spring cleaning attack for this and next weekend.

Freshen up the carpets and vacuum the heck out of 'em
Remove the cup webs taking over the bathroom and replace burnt bulbs
Wash the blinds with a hose and replace some with DIY window treatments
Remove the layer of dust from several flat surfaces
Take a wet rag to the inside of the kitchen cabinets, pantry, linen closet
Sweep and mop floors.

I'm sure I'll find others as I move through the house.

Once that is done, I can start decorating! If the dog smell goes away, I'm probably going to be here for the next 3 years.
daircroi

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in the grown-up venting thread, my place is a wreck. I need to find places for the many things that don't have places, attend to lots of paper sorting and filing and recycling, and oh man do my floors need a scrubbin'. The windows, too. And while I'm not a habitual bleach user, I kind of want to immerse my entire bathroom in bleach right now.

I think my OCD boss at work is rubbing off on me, actually. All our tools have tool-shaped cutouts in foam in the toolbox drawers, and everything is always perfect, and I think it's getting to me.
klaradetroit

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you dearest Glitter for this thread!

It finally made me declutter and rearrange my kitchen. Like putting stuff a rarely use on the higher shelves, moved down bowls and stuff I love but never use because I can't reach them. Also gave my bathroom the same treatment. Then I deep cleaned the rest of the apartment and now it's time to take on the daunting task of sorting through the sock drawer.

It's stared snowing here again, so I've moved up cleaning the windows and spruce up the balcony (oh, solar powered pink flamingo, how I've missed you!)until after Easter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bookselves

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I:
-cleaned out my disgusting basement. It's technically shared space which means that the landlord uses it for reno/construction stuff. Swept up so much insulation/sawdust/dirt. The dryer vent had fallen off and there was dryer lint everywhere. Ugh. Fire hazard alert!

When I was done my snot had dust in it, even. Blech.

-Went through all of our stuff from the basement and sorted it into garbage/donation/off season clothes piles. Bought some big plastic tubs so that the things we're keeping don't directly end up covered in all that gross dust.

-Bought a bigger shoe rack & swept out/cleaned our by-the-door pile of stuff. Pulled most of the winter stuff out and sorted it into donation/storage piles.

Spent a lot of time holding things up in front of my BF and saying "Do you want this? This? What about this?" He has a sprained ankle so he's off the hook.

Oh, and I'd love some advice:
My new shoe rack is wobbly as all heck! It's coated wire and just sort of slots together. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping it from leaning/wobbling? Zip ties? I will probably spray paint it once I decide how to reinforce it, so it doesn't have to look perfect.

So, I have a blog now.
PurpleDoor

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. As mentioned in the spring projects thread, I'm preparing for a move, so I need to give my place a serious cleaning before moving out (if I want my security deposit back...).

I have been doing an ongoing declutter for the past month and have taken a lot of stuff to the thrift store (or recycling or trash).

Yesterday I spent some quality time (heh) cleaning the baseboards in my apartment, which are total dust magnets and which I often forget about because they aren't really at eye level. It's crazy how much cleaner the place feels with them tidied up though!

I also need to clean the windows and blinds. And I need to tackle the kitchen cabinets and refrigerator/freezer. I'm also debating renting one of those DIY carpet cleaning vacuums, because my carpet is looking super grungy, but then I'm thinking I should maybe wait until I'm closer to moving time for that....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> Happy Home All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: